Call for Submissions
National / Local Mainstage Series and Local Outdoor Site-Specific
Neanderthal Arts Festival is a summer performing arts festival for Vancouver, currently entering its third year. The Mainstage series provides a platform for theatre artists and companies to showcase new and experimental work. The festival features primarily new Canadian work, although we welcome submissions from companies wishing to premiere re-interpretations of classics from the theatre canon. In particular, we encourage work that takes risks, is creative and has a clear artistic vision. At the same time, we will be looking for work that is accessible and engaging. Produced by Upintheair Theatre, the 2012 Festival will take place at The Cultch from July 18-29, 2012.
We invite submissions from companies and artists from across Canada who wish to have their work considered for presentation. We are particularly interested in original productions with running times of 60 - 90 minutes.
Deadline ALL submissions is December 15, 2011. (NOTE: National submissions must be 400km or farther geographically from Vancouver to be considered).
Neanderthal Arts will provide successful companies with:
- A venue equipped with festival lighting and sound at The Cultch – one of Vancouver’s most prestigious theatres
- One venue technician and technical support from the Festival Technical Director
- A show schedule of minimum five performances over ten days
- Presence in Festival advertising and marketing including website, brochure, press releases. In addition, presented companies will receive mentoring from festival marketing staff to enable them to successfully promote their work in the festival setting.
- Advance and at-door box office
- Front of House services
- Performance guarantee and box-office split
- Production support and mentoring from Festival staff, including workshops to develop self-producing skills
- Assistance with travel costs (for National Companies only)
- Provisions for site specific work will vary from the above